Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Operating Instructions

Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First YearOperating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year by Anne Lamott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am a huge fan of Anne Lamott's writing. She is so matter of fact and witty in her delivery. In college I read bird by bird and truly enjoyed how she made it seem easy to write create and imagine. I would reference the book often when tackling a paper or exam. "Just take it bird by bird" I read this book because I figured it would be a relief from all the boring baby books about what to do and not to do with an infant. I feel like I sit awake at night stressing that I am going to inflict irreversible damage on my child-to-be even before it is born. Well I am finally relieved. Anne gives it to you straight and doesn't hold back in saying that parenthood is difficult especially as a single mother. She cites many examples of things they don't tell you before you are pregnant or a parent for that matter. I also enjoy her thoughts on faith. She makes you feel like Christianity is not a cult but just something that you believe in to get you through the hard stuff. You have to make it what you want. There is no right or wrong way to be faithful to GOD as going to church will sometimes make you believe. Lastly, her stories are so memorable and some roll on the floor funny. There are many takeaways in all her books that help get us through our everyday lives. And one of my favorite lines of the book is always remember to start the day of slow and taper off. We need to always remember that life is there for us to enjoy it and not live for the future but live in the now.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment