Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Steve JobsSteve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Reading the biography of Steve Jobs literally made me rush out and buy and iPad. Walter Isaacson’s portrait of the Apple creator isn’t picturesque. However, he does help us understand how and why Apple became the largest publicly traded company in the world. This book has everything from how to start a computer company in your garage to how to think outside the box and create totally new ideas. Apple has had its ups and downs, but whenever Steve Jobs was involved, success followed. The biography was very extensive in parts and slightly boring, but Isaacson felt every detail was important to paint the correct picture of Jobs and I respect that. Jobs as a person does not appear to be the heroic figure we always saw at a product launch. He is anal, reserved, “smelly,” and not the most friendly person. Jobs has one of the most bizarre personalities from running away from his first born kid to his vacillating food binges. The book does not hold back the criticism either. Steve jobs has a dark past, but somehow it is easily overlooked when he begins producing life changing products. Isaacson displays Jobs as an unbelievable creator of intuitive products.
I sat on the plane the other day pushing the touch screen in the head rest in front of me trying to scroll through the available music and movies. Immediately I became frustrated with the device. The touch pad did not work well and it took me ten minutes to figure out how to go back to the previous screen. Why did Delta not consult Steve Jobs. He would say that his airplane touch screen was “shit” and create a new version that worked and was intuitive. Or maybe Delta should just let you use iPad during take-off and landing and then I wouldn’t even need the stupid device. From Pixar movies to iTunes to my new iPad, Steve Jobs will be truly missed. I just hope there is a successor out there to fill the weird guys shoes because I hate new technologies that are “shit.” Until then I will continue to spend hundreds of dollars on new Apple devices, because I trust foundation Steve Jobs created of great intuitive products.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment